The Doris Day Collection

Rubrique consacrée aux DVD de films tournés avant 1980.

Modérateurs : cinephage, Karras, Rockatansky

Geoffrey Firmin
Howard Hughes

The Doris Day Collection

Message par Geoffrey Firmin »

Coming from Warner Bros. on April 10, 2007

The Doris Day Collection Volume 2 Six-disc set with "Romance on the High Seas," "By the Light of the Silvery Moon," "I'll See You in My Dreams," "Lucky Me," "My Dream Is Yours" and "On Moonlight Bay"; $59.92 or $19.97 each. (Warner).

* Romance on the High Seas (1948) Dir.: Michael Curtiz; Doris Day, Janis Paige, Don DeFore, Jack Carson. Extras: Classic Warner Bros. musical short "Let's Sing a Song From the Movies," classic Warner Bros. cartoon "I Taw a Putty Tat."

* My Dream Is Yours (1949) Dir.: Michael Curtiz; Doris Day, Jack Carson, Lee Bowman, Extras: Vintage Joe McDoakes comedy short "So You Want to be an Actor," Warner Bros. short "The Grass Is Always Greener," classic Warner Bros. cartoon "A Ham in a Role."

* I'll See You in My Dreams (1952) Dir.: Michael Curtiz; Doris Day, Danny Thomas, Extras: Vintage short "The Screen Director," classic Warner Bros. cartoon "Lovelorn Leghorn."

* On Moonlight Bay (1951) Doris Day, Gordon MacRae, Leon Ames, Rosemary De Camp, Billy Gray. Extras: Vintage Warner Bros. musical short "Let's Sing a Song About the Moonlight," classic Warner Bros. cartoon "A Hound for Trouble."

* By the Light of the Silvery Moon (1953) Doris Day, Gordon MacRae, Rosemary DeCamp, Mary Wickes, Billy Gray. Extras: Vintage Joe McDoakes comedy shorts "So You Want to Learn to Dance" and "So You Want a Television Set," Warner Bros. cartoon "From A to Z-Z-Z-Z."

* Lucky Me (1954) Doris Day, Robert Cummings, Phil Silvers, Eddie Foy Jr., Nancy Walker, Martha Hyer. Extras: Vintage Warner Bros. short "When the Talkies Were Young," Warner Bros. cartoon "Sandy Claws."
Jeremy Fox
Shérif adjoint

Message par Jeremy Fox »

Je me le serais bien pris celui-ci si seulement... surtout que je n'en connais aucun.
Jeremy Fox
Shérif adjoint

Message par Jeremy Fox »

D'après DVDtimes, Romance à Rio de Michael Curtiz serait pourvu de VF et de sous titres français. Rien d'indiqué pour l'instant pour les autres.
Jeremy Fox
Shérif adjoint

Message par Jeremy Fox »

Jeremy Fox
Shérif adjoint

Message par Jeremy Fox »

Commencé à visionner le coffret avec Romance on the High Seas : je confirme l'absence de sous titres français mais si toutes les copies sont de ce niveau d'excellence, Warner aura une fois encore effectué un superbe travail.
Jeremy Fox
Shérif adjoint

Re: The Doris Day Collection Volume 2 le 10 avril

Message par Jeremy Fox »

3ème coffret Doris day pour le 07 avril avec ces 5 films : April in Paris ~ It’s A Great Feeling ~ Starlift ~ Tea for Two ~ The Tunnel of Love avec Sous titres français 8) J'achète surtout que Tea for Two (uniquement présent dans un coffret zone 2 UK sans stf) est une de ses meilleures comédies musicales. L'intégrale de l'actrice n'est pas loin d'être bouclée

TCM SPOTLIGHT:
DORIS DAY COLLECTION

Five All New-to-DVD Titles from America’s Sweetheart
Available April 7 from Warner Home Video

Burbank, Calif. December 15, 2008 -- Doris Day, whose on-screen wholesomeness, unfailing optimism and understated strength of character helped make her America’s sweetheart in the ‘50s and ‘60s, returns to DVD on April 7 when Warner Home Video and Turner Classic Movies showcase TCM Spotlight: Doris Day Collection. The Collection features five new-to-DVD titles, focusing on Miss Day’s golden years at Warner Bros., where her film career began. The titles included are April in Paris, It’s A Great Feeling, Starlift, Tea for Two and The Tunnel of Love.

All the DVDs have been meticulously remastered using all new digital transfers, and each release includes entertaining bonus features such as classic cartoons and vintage shorts. The films will be available in Digi-Pak packaging as a collection only for $49.92 SRP.

The Films

April in Paris (1952)
The State Department wants Ethel Barrymore to represent the American theater at an arts exposition in Paris. But Miss Barrymore’s invitation is sent by mistake to Miss Ethel “Dynamite” Jackson, a very blonde, very brassy chorus girl.

Doris Day and Ray Bolger star in this musical bonbon highlighted by the Vernon Duke/E.Y. Harburg title tune and a high-kicking, bell-ringing rendition of the Jule Styne/Sammy Cahn I’m Gonna Ring the Bell Tonight. Day is pure TNT as Dynamite Jackson and Bolger’s rubbery comic artistry ideally complements her. He’s the stuffy bureaucrat who mismailed the Barrymore missive – and now has a stateroom full of explosives on his hands for a Paris-bound ocean voyage.

DVD Special Features:
· Vintage short So You Want To Wear The Pants
· Classic cartoon Terrier Stricken
· Theatrical trailer
· Subtitles: English & Français (Main feature. Bonus material/trailer may not be subtitled)

It’s a Great Feeling (1949)
No director? No leading lady? No problem! If no one will work with actor Jack Carson (who plays himself), he’ll just pull his own movie together. Good buddy Dennis Morgan can be hoodwinked into co-starring. And there’s a talented kid in the studio commissary (Day) eager for her big break.

In her third film (and third with Carson), Doris Day plays that up-and-comer in a bright filmmaking spoof featuring melodic toe-tappers, real Hollywood and Warner Bros. back lot locales, star cameos (Gary Cooper, Joan Crawford, Edward G. Robinson, among others) and a surprise comedy finale.

Starlift (1951)
The charming tale of a serviceman with a crush on a movie ingénue is the backdrop for this spirited flag-waver featuring screen greats such as Doris Day, Gordon MacRae, James Cagney, Gary Cooper, Ruth Roman, Gene Nelson, Virginia Mayo, Jane Wyman, Randolph Scott and more Hollywood celebrities performing for – or just shooting the breeze with – star-struck flyboys in uniform. Songs by the Gershwins, Cole Porter and more legendary composers plus a hilarious Western production number with Cooper whoopin’ it up as a steely Texas Ranger add to the patriotic fun.

DVD Special Features:
· Vintage short Musical Memories
· Classic cartoon Sleepy Time Possum
· Theatrical trailer
· Subtitles: English & Français (Main feature. bonus material/trailer may not be subtitled)

Tea for Two (1950)
Wealthy, stagestruck Nan Carter strikes a bet that she can say “no” to everything for 48 hours. If she wins, she gets the $25,000 to back a Broadway musical vehicle for herself. She’s determined, even if it means saying “no” when the guy she loves pops the question. Nan doesn’t know it yet, but her fortune has been wiped out in the Crash of ’29.

Doris Day is a sunny sensation in this flapper-era musical romp, with co-stars Gordon MacRae and Gene Nelson on hand to help provide songs, dance and romance. Eve Arden, Billy DeWolfe and S.Z “Cuddles” Sakall deliver lots of laughs, and the Gershwins, Vincent Youmans, Harry Warren and other Tin Pan Alley greats supply wonderful melodies, including the title tune, Do, Do, Do, I Only Have Eyes for You, I Want to Be Happy and lots more.

DVD Special Features:
· Vintage short So You Want to Hold Your Husband
· Classic cartoon Tee for Two
· No, No Nanette Radio Show - From the 1949 "Railroad Hour" series, with Doris Day and Gordon MacRae
· No, No Nanette Overture - From the surviving Vitaphone disc from lost 1930 Warner Bros. film
· Theatrical trailer
· Subtitles: English & Français (Main feature. Bonus material/trailer may not be subtitled)

The Tunnel of Love (1958)
Isolde (Doris Day) and Augie (Richard Widmark) Poole are trying to adopt a baby. Dick (Gig Young), the Poole’s neighbor, has advice for Augie during these challenging times: have an affair. (Of course, that’s Dick’s solution for everything). No way, says Augie. Then he wakes up in a motel room with no memory of the night before – and finds a thank-you note from the curvy caseworker who’s handling the Poole adoption! Gene Kelly’s lively direction, the stars’ comedy chops and the popular title tune highlight this sexy romp of the kind that made Day one of the world’s biggest movie stars of the ’50s and ’60s.

DVD special features include:
· Classic cartoon Tot Watchers
· Theatrical trailer

About Doris Day
Born Doris Mary Ann Von Kapplehoff in Cincinnati, Ohio, Ms. Day started as a dancer, but after a near-fatal car crash, she began refining her vocal skills. With a voice of distinct beauty at just 14, the young Ms. Day was soon discovered by a vocal coach who arranged an appearance at a local radio station.

Soon after, the young songstress met local bandleader Barney Rapp who convinced her to adopt the moniker that would soon become a household name. Rapp suggested "Day" after the song "Day after Day" which was part of her repertoire. Ms. Day toured briefly with Rapp’s band, as well as those of Bob Crosby and Les Brown, and then set out on her own in the late 1940s.

Ms. Day’s film career began in 1948 after a screen test at Warner Bros. resulted in her first film role, Romance on the High Seas in which she introduced the hit song “It’s Magic.” The song and the film became a huge hit and immediately catapulted her to super-stardom. Throughout the 1950s she appeared in dozens of films, from musicals to dramas to comedies, especially in the 1960s when she was best known for a series of romantic comedies opposite leading men including Rock Hudson, Cary Grant and James Garner. In 1960, she earned a Best Actress Oscar® nomination for her role in the hugely popular Pillow Talk with Hudson.

In April of 1968, Ms. Day's film career came to an abrupt end with the death of her third husband, manager/producer Marty Melcher. Left deeply in debt through a series of bad investments by Melcher, Ms. Day soon bounced back and found success in television with “The Doris Day Show.” Now in her 80s, Ms. Day is an active and vocal supporter of animal rights, focusing the majority of her attention on her Animal League and Animal Foundation organizations.

TCM Spotlight…Presented by Warner Bros.
The Doris Day Collection is the third in a series of joint releases with Turner Classic Movies (TCM). The TCM Spotlight series represents a broad group of classic films from various eras, all of which have earned an important place in film history. The selections from the Warner Bros. Entertainment library (the industry’s largest) also represent the kind of motion pictures that have become the hallmark of TCM’s classic film programming. The companies are looking forward to multiple releases under this banner in the coming year.

TCM Spotlight: Doris Day Collection
Street Date: April 7, 2009
$49.92 SRP Collection Only
All Films Not Rated
It’s a Great Feeling
Run Time: 85 minutes
Color
Tea For Two
Run Time: 98 minutes
Color
Starlift
Run Time: 103 minutes
B&W
April in Paris
Run Time: 101 minutes
Color
The Tunnel of Love
Run Time: 98 minutes
B&W

Alphonse Tram
Réalisateur

Message par Alphonse Tram »

La saga Dodo continue :lol: Elle a vraiment de la chance en dvd !
TCM spotlight ? c'était pas ça pour les 2 premiers coffrets. En tout cas, c'est noté dans le topic liste warner naphta :wink:
Souhaits : Alphabétiques - Par éditeurs
- « Il y aura toujours de la souffrance humaine… mais pour moi, il est impossible de continuer avec cette richesse et cette pauvreté ». - Louis ‘Studs’ Terkel (1912-2008) -
someone1600
Euphémiste

Message par someone1600 »

Intéressant.

Il s'agit donc d'un coffret TCM... ce serait bien d'éditer un nouveau coffret Lon Cheney aussi. :D
Jeremy Fox
Shérif adjoint

Message par Jeremy Fox »

George Costanza
Rendez-nous Finkielkraut !
Last.fm

Re: The Doris Day Collection

Message par George Costanza »

I was looking for a job, and then I found a job
And heaven knows I'm miserable now
Jeremy Fox
Shérif adjoint

Message par Jeremy Fox »

George Costanza a écrit :Quelqu'un aurait-il des infos sur la qualité des coffrets Doris Day bradés sur amazon uk ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doris-Day-Colle ... 894&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doris-Day-Antho ... 894&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doris-Day/dp/B0 ... 911&sr=1-4
Le premier reprend les mêmes DVD qu'aux USA et en France ; c'est quasiment du tout bon. Je ne sais pas ce qu'il en est des st par contre.

Le second contient des films inédits en dehors de l'Angleterre (plus pour longtemps car ils sortent aux USA début avril) : les copies sont tout à fait correctes dans l'ensemble mais ils ne possèdent pas de stf.

Le troisième contient les films Universal, Columbia et là niveau qualité technique, ça va du bon au très moyen mais ça se laisse quand même voir.

Niveau qualité des films, pas facile car chaque coffret contient au moins un chef d'oeuvre mais le plus rare et qui restera encore inédit même aux USA est Young at heart de Gordon Douglas qui se trouve dans le troisième. Un film réellement poignant et injustement méconnu.

Si ça t'intéresse, je pourrais vérifier DVD par DVD (je les ai tous et les ai tous visionné) mais si tu veux en savoir plus sur les films, je te conseille d'aller voir le topic Doris day en classiques naphtas : http://www.dvdclassik.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=105

Je n'ai pas encore écrit sur tous les films mais n'hésite pas à demander :wink:
AtCloseRange
Mémé Lenchon

Message par AtCloseRange »

Il y a des sous-titres français pour tous les titres du premier coffret.
Je me base sur les renseignements donnés par ce très bon vendeur anglais sur eBay et qui vend tous ces titres à l'unité.
http://shop.ebay.fr/merchant/rovers222_ ... omZQQ_mdoZ
George Costanza
Rendez-nous Finkielkraut !
Last.fm

Message par George Costanza »

Merci pour les infos. Pour ce qui est des sous-titres / doublages, ils sont précisés sur amazon dans les commentaires des deux premiers coffrets.
I was looking for a job, and then I found a job
And heaven knows I'm miserable now
cinephage
C'est du harfang

Message par cinephage »

Tout Doris Day pour une cinquantaine d'euros... C'est tentant...
I love movies from the creation of cinema—from single-shot silent films, to serialized films in the teens, Fritz Lang, and a million others through the twenties—basically, I have a love for cinema through all the decades, from all over the world, from the highbrow to the lowbrow. - David Robert Mitchell
Jeremy Fox
Shérif adjoint

Message par Jeremy Fox »

cinephage a écrit :Tout Doris Day pour une cinquantaine d'euros... C'est tentant...
Pas tout mais une bonne moitié. Je serais vous, je n'hésiterais pas :fiou: :mrgreen:
Répondre